Citrus has a multitude of amazing health benefits. I think Mother nature really knocked it out of the ball park when she created these little gems; Lemons, Limes, Oranges, Tangerines and Grapefruit.
Where I live, Citrus fruits are celebrated. Florida’s citrus farms are scattered throughout the Sunshine state and many are still producing some of the best Orange and Grapefruit juice I have ever had. We all know the letter “C” in Citrus stands for Vitamin C, but what other benefits are there? Check out the list below and you will learn there is more to these gems than meets the eye!
Natural Cancer Fighters
Besides Vitamin C, Citrus contains limonene, which is thought to inhibit breast cancer. Citrus fruits contain antioxidants which are anti-cancer properties. Red grapefruit is high in cancer-fighting lycopene. Oranges are a good source of choline, which improves mental functioning.
Citrus contains flavonoids, plant compounds that may promote a healthy heart, stated Keri Gans, RD, a nutritionist and author of The Small Change Diet. In a study of patients who had undergone bypass surgery published in The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, studies found that antioxidant-rich red grapefruit helped lower “bad” LDL cholesterol as well as triglyceride levels.
Natural Nutrient Sponges
Adding citrus to your plate may help you get more out of other foods you consume! “Vitamin C builds the viability of the catechins, which are the healthy antioxidants found in green tea. Citrus has been known to help your body absorb iron. Nutritionist recommend pairing citrus with iron-rich foods like leafy greens, fish, poultry, and meat to maximize their nutritional benefits. Try adding a drop of Lemon Essential Oil to your water bottle.
Weight Loss Managers
Citrus provides juicy flavor with little to no fat, sodium, or calories, which makes them diet-friendly. Research has linked low vitamin C blood levels to higher BMIs, waist circumference, and body fat percentage. Ah ha moment! There’s good reasoning why DoTerra’s Slim and Sassy Oil blend is primarily Citrus based!
Ways to incorporate Citrus into your diet
- Try squeezing the juice or grating the zest onto chicken, fish, or a salad to instantly boost the flavor.
- Running low on time? Place a few lemon slices in your water to give it some subtle flavor.
- DoTerra Essential Oils has an array of powerful Citrus Oils to use in food, ease common discomforts and you can make your own toxic free cleaning supplies. Join here today!
- Add a drop of Wild Orange to your next smoothie
- Make homemade Juice with the Hurom Juicer from Food Matters.
- Why not try both? One drop of Citrus Oil to Food Matters Vitamin C Protein